Friday, November 19, 2010

State Change Car Standards? (FL to CA)?

I have a 2005 Dodge Neon that I purchased in 2005 (New) in Florida from my father's dealership. Recently I have moved to California and found out that evidently there are certain codes that the vehicle must meet up to in order for me to register it in California.



I'm attempting to figure out what those standards/codes are...and how much it'll cost. My dad said about 3000 dollars but he's an unreliable source right now, because my parents are still mad at me for moving across the nation without telling them.



Any help?State Change Car Standards? (FL to CA)?
The California emissions requirements only apply to cars purchased while already a California resident or purchased in California. If you bought the car in another state while a resident of another state, then you can bring it to California and register it there, without meeting the California requirements.State Change Car Standards? (FL to CA)?
It's probably regarding the emission standards. Go to the emission test site and see what is needed to get your car into compliance, California emission test rules are very strict and not all cars can pass. Catalytic convertors can be very expensive, and these are oftentimes a problem when trying to pass the emission test.
Main issue will be SMOG...But with a three year old car, that should'nt be a probelm. Take your paper-work to your nearest DMV and tell them you would like to register the car. They will give you the proper paperwork. I can't see it costing anywhere near $3,000 ! You'll also have to have the car smogged. That can be anywhere from $30 up to $100. Shop around first. Also call a insurance agency. You can't register a car that is not insured...I'd call the agency first.

No comments:

Post a Comment