Sunday, November 21, 2010

When did you change the car seat to forward facing? How old was ur child?

How much did they weigh and how tall were they?



I took my daughter for her check up and was told not to turn her car seat around yet because she are changing the laws to where she stays rear facing until she is 2....Problem is she is 30 inches tall and weighs 20 pounds....The straps are tight on her and they have no more give....Should i call and talk to the doc or where can i find the state laws...We live in texas.



Thanks!When did you change the car seat to forward facing? How old was ur child?
I believe in Texas the law is still that they have to be at least one year of age and weigh at least 20 lbs. I changed my oldest son's car seat around when he was 14 months because he didn't weigh 20 lbs until then. My youngest son is almost 8 months and is 29 inches tall and weighs over 20 lbs, so he will be turned around on his first birthday. You can call the highway patrol's non emergency number and get the up to date information.When did you change the car seat to forward facing? How old was ur child?
Please - look into rear facing your babies beyond 1. There is hard data that proves it is 75% safer to rear face a child to age 2+.

Report Abuse


I live in Texas as well. My 19 month old was probably about 7 or 8 months when I turned him around. He was almost 20 pounds. I don't know how tall he was. His doctor told me when he is one and weighs 20 pounds. We were stopped by police when he was younger and they didn't say anything to me. My 6 month old I haven't turned around yet. But I will soon.

If the straps are too tight then get her a new car seat and turn her around. My son is perfectly fine and he now 19 months and loves to look out the windows and see all the cars, etc... I haven't heard of that law yet. Or that law changing.

Good Luck!
i also live in texas and i had to wait until my son was 22lbs. normally the car seat you have will say in the manual or on the actual seat itself what the maximum weight and height is. you might have to upgrade to a different car seat. you might also be able to call your local police dept. or dept. of public safety and ask what the requirements are for facing your child forward. hope this helps.
If the straps are too tight then you need to move up to a convertible carseat. Those can face backwards. We waited until our kids were 1 yr old but they have always been big for their age. The only reason for backward facing is the risk of neck injury. I think by age 1 they are developed enough to face forward. I dont see how a 2 year old would fit, their legs would be too long!
we lived in Tx at the time, my son was about 11 months, and was 20 lbs. I havent heard of that law yet. but i know that they did change the booster sit law, your child has to be 8 now before you can stop using them. Call the DMV, maybe? they should know
My son was 1 when we switched him. It is best to keep them rear-facing as long as possible, but I could not get my son to stop crying while riding in the car rear facing.



If your baby does not complain keep her rear-facing as long as the weight restrictions allow.
I remember seeing an ad for Graco on a ';Rear for a Year'; Campaign. They have rear facing car seats that go up to over 30 lbs I believe. It's black and red. Check it out on BabiesRUs.com
My daughter is 16 months. At her 12 month check-up she was 20lbs. and 31.5 inches tall. She's still rear facing. It's safest, and I feel no need to turn her around yet. She doesn't complain :)
We switched the seat to forward facing when our kids were 1 and roughly 20 lbs.
I waited until my child was 13. I'm over protective.
She was newborn.
One year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment